City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 R design
Hi Everyone! I just joined and was hoping to get some advice.

I purchased a CPO 2017 Volvo XC 90 R design from a high volume dealer in NJ. Aside from a bad CPO purchase experience (will never buy CPO again); the car has been spectacular. I particularly like the air suspension since I have an hour commute to work each way.

I have notice one issue that has been troubling me. There is a grinding noise that comes from the front end of the car every time I apply the brakes and turn at the same time (particularly on a downhill grade). I have not been able to determine whether the noise comes from the steering column, the brakes or the front air suspension. I have taken in to the dealer twice with no resolution of the issue (after something called "the motor mount" has been replaced).

Has anyone experienced the same issue (esp cars with air suspension). Is this normal as the weight shifts on turns? Should I insist that the dealer evaluate the suspension before the warranty runs out?

Thanks in advance.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Edited....Have them check the swaybar end links. I'm going to have mine replaced at my cost to see if the noise goes away. Then, next time (in approx. 25k), I'll see how this new Volvo part warranty works :)

Last edited:

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
Had the same issue at about 2500 miles.

Went away after replacing discs and pads. At 3500miles.

On another XC90 it was the heat protection panel
For the disc that needed alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 R design
I see. Thank you. My dealer keeps saying that nothing is wrong... how do I get them to listen? I want to have this issue resolved before the warranty expires...

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
I see. Thank you. My dealer keeps saying that nothing is wrong... how do I get them to listen? I want to have this issue resolved before the warranty expires...
Try to make a recording of the sound and show it to them.
If they still insist that it’s normal, try another dealer or Volvo customer care.

Emphasis that, if it was normal you wouldn’t be wasting your time chasing it and trying to resolve it.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Take the service writer, manager, or tech for a ride and show them.

Unless it causes a code or break down, it's hard to get them to do anything, and that includes all manufacturers. I decided to live with it...but notice it's always quiet after the carwash... so I'm betting it's a rubber bushing somewhere, or it may be the front struts making noise....who knows. It makes the same noise when you lower it while holding the brakes, could be normal suspension noise.

Heimdall

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 XC90
Take the service writer, manager, or tech for a ride and show them.

Unless it causes a code or break down, it's hard to get them to do anything, and that includes all manufacturers. I decided to live with it...but notice it's always quiet after the carwash... so I'm betting it's a rubber bushing somewhere, or it may be the front struts making noise....who knows. It makes the same noise when you lower it while holding the brakes, could be normal suspension noise.
+1 for duplicating it while they are on board.

Would you mind sharing a video or sound recording of such. I’m almost sure it’s to do with the heat protection panel.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
It's a dull popping noise (1-3 quick little pops) when applying a full turn at slow speeds like in a parking lot, or while slowing down quickly and turning. A similar noise, (or may be the same) happens when lowering the vehicle (Dynamic) while keeping the brakes applied...much more so if lowering from Offroad mode. I doubt a vid would pick up the noise....maybe a gopro attached to the wheel well.

There is something called chassis ears which helps diagnose a noise like this, ask them about it.

May be, and is most likely, normal...but if not would like to know.

Reactions
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 R design
That’s exactly it... popping noise. Mine is more pronounced in left turns at a slow speed. I will try to make a recording though I doubt that it will be sensitive enough to get the noise. It lasts for may be a second.

So live with it or let it go?

Reactions
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 R design
Also, does anyone else get a moldy like smell when opening the vent of the moonroof? Not when opening it the whole way, just tilting it open? I have a feeling that water is getting in somewhere though I can’t probe it.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
That’s exactly it... popping noise. Mine is more pronounced in left turns at a slow speed. I will try to make a recording though I doubt that it will be sensitive enough to get the noise. It lasts for may be a second.

So live with it or let it go?
100% of people with this issue need to make sure to report it to their service department!
I'm living with it (for now), but have reported it on 2 or 3 service visits.
Make sure they document the noise, I hope enough people complain and Volvo issues a TSB to fix it.

Also, does anyone else get a moldy like smell when opening the vent of the moonroof? Not when opening it the whole way, just tilting it open? I have a feeling that water is getting in somewhere though I can’t probe it.
No smell at all, just fresh air. I use mine often, and have had no issues. You can check the drains are draining properly by slowly pouring water in the tray that surrounds the sunroof (with the sunroof open so you can watch the water drain. May be easiest to move the front seats forward and stand behind them.

Or just mention it to your service advisor.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Okay...after some more research, I've narrowed it down to a 99% possibly, that the front swaybar end links are failing, causing the popping noises. I'm going to have the front pair replaced on Nov. 26th (already had a valet appointment set), and we'll see if the noise is present after new parts.

I'm requesting to get the old parts with receipt...so if the end links are indeed the cause of this noise issue, I'll can use the new Volvo warranty when they fail again, possibly as soon as another 20k.....that's around the mileage when I first noticed the noises from both sides of the front end.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Reactions
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Volvo XC90 R design
SRG963,

How did you get your dealer to actually replace those parts for you if the noise is so hard to hear? My dealer keeps saying that nothing is wrong and they don't want to get charged by Volvo to replace the parts that "aren't broken." Any advice?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
SRG963,

How did you get your dealer to actually replace those parts for you if the noise is so hard to hear? My dealer keeps saying that nothing is wrong and they don't want to get charged by Volvo to replace the parts that "aren't broken." Any advice?
It goes in at the end of this month.

I am telling them to replace the end links, and I will tell them if it resolves the noise or not. I'm paying this first time.

I had the end links on my G8 replaced at 50k due to turning noise....and it was gone with new end links.

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
Could be brake issue as well. We had vibrating brakes on the front end when braking. Volvo dealership said "recall" (unannounced) on disc all around as an issue in the 2nd generation XC90's.. They replaced all discs and pads under warranty at 38k miles. So much better. No more vibration at braking.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Well, my noise is gone after my latest visit. They said my alignment was off.

So, I guess if you are getting noises from the suspension, make sure your alignment is correct.
(Air suspension vehicles need to be on during alignment, most shops don't know this.)

And yes, the brakes make some noise!

I also found a missing clip that holds some of the plastic down at the back of my engine bay.