Irritating harmonic vibration noise seemingly coming from driver side engine compartment

XC90X2

Reactions
City
Santa Monica
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 XC90 Momentum
We were early lessees of the 2016 XC90 and have now moved on to a 2019 Momentum with 21" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion tires. This new car has a very irritating, harmonic vibration noise which is seemingly coming from the driver side engine compartment when the car is moving along at slow speeds which is most of the city driving I do. When going over somewhat bumpy surfaces, the sound has more of a hollow, drumming quality to it. The usual consistent road noise from the tires meeting the pavement is also present. Our original XC90 didn't exhibit this noise, or I certainly would not have leased another. Our son also has a 2019 Inscription model (which motivated me to get a 2019 because his car was so much quieter than our 2016) with the same wheels and tires, but no similar harmonic vibration noise. Anyone else experience this noise and gotten to the root of the problem?

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Check engine bay for loose plastic trim...I had a pin come loose, causing the rear passenger top plastic to rattle close to the firewall above the glovebox, after re-installed the loose clip, my noise vanished.

SRG963

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 XC90 Inscription
Also, check your hood. May need to lower the front clips, or raise the rubber bumpers on the sides.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 VOLVO XC90
I have a 2018 momentum with 27k. I just came back from the dealer after describing the same noise. The service writer told me that it sounded to him like a tire issue. We then took my car for a test drive with him behind the wheel and before he even left the lot he confirmed that the issue was indeed the tires, he described the wear as cupping. I am not sure why or how I would get cupping wear, the service writer told me that wear with 27k on the Pirelli Scorpions is normal. I am not an expert on tire wear, I do know that the Scorpions are mileage rated at 65k. My next call is to Pirelli