XC90 2012 Don't leave it Parked outside in winter for more than a week.

Menauhant

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 XC90
In 2014 I left the car parked outside in New England for 10 days when I returned the brakes were completely rusted. I took it to the dealer and had all brakes replaced. This month April 2015 car sat outside for 15 days and when I returned the brakes were locked. After 3 tries they broke loose so I could drive the car. 5 days later the brakes stopped pulsating and the rust build up pretty much was cleared up. Dealer can't explain how this happens but it is pretty bad when a car that is made to withstand Swedish Winters can't sit around in New England without developing major issues. I would like to know how to prevent this other than to just not to leave it parked outside for more than a week in the winter.

XCMike

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I can't explain the rust, but do you engage the parking brakes when you park? Up here in MI I don't use the parking brakes during winter when I park it for long periods as it can freeze the brakes.

Menauhant

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 XC90
I can't explain the rust, but do you engage the parking brakes when you park? Up here in MI I don't use the parking brakes during winter when I park it for long periods as it can freeze the brakes.
Like you, I do not use the parking brake in the winter. I did learn from my previous 2004 XC90 that it is a good idea to use the parking break on a regular basis, as I had to have mine replaced from not using it at all.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Easy solution is to get a car cover if you plan on parking it for long periods.

Menauhant

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 XC90
Easy solution is to get a car cover if you plan on parking it for long periods.
I could certainly do that but don't understand why this is happening, that is the real question. I can't have the only 2012 XC90 that has this issue. After $600 for repairs due to this issue, I will just leave it in my garage and get a ride to the bus for my winter getaway. Thanks for your reply.

VolvoFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
[MENTION=29]Menauhant[/MENTION] has this happen before or is this the first time? When you say rust are you referring to surface race that builds up on the disc or other areas too?

Menauhant

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 XC90
[MENTION=29]Menauhant[/MENTION] has this happen before or is this the first time? When you say rust are you referring to surface race that builds up on the disc or other areas too?
This is the second time it has happened. The first time I had to have a complete brake job on all four wheels. The dealer said it was all due to rust, my guess is that it was more than surface rust as it did not improve at all by driving it and using the brakes. The shaking and pulling was not safe. Car was driven daily prior to this happening and after sitting the for two weeks it happened.

Second time the car would not move it was like somebody had put blocks behind the wheels. I actually got out of the car and walked around it just to check. When I finally got them to free up I was able to drive but the brakes pulsated like crazy and there was a lot of noise. After driving it for about 5 days the brakes seem fine with just a little residual pulsating but something that we can live with.

Thank you for your reply.

LonestarXC90

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
That is so weird. I guess if it happens again next winter please keep us posted.

This is the second time it has happened. The first time I had to have a complete brake job on all four wheels. The dealer said it was all due to rust, my guess is that it was more than surface rust as it did not improve at all by driving it and using the brakes. The shaking and pulling was not safe. Car was driven daily prior to this happening and after sitting the for two weeks it happened.

Second time the car would not move it was like somebody had put blocks behind the wheels. I actually got out of the car and walked around it just to check. When I finally got them to free up I was able to drive but the brakes pulsated like crazy and there was a lot of noise. After driving it for about 5 days the brakes seem fine with just a little residual pulsating but something that we can live with.

Thank you for your reply.